I finished #4 before #3, but Tupandactylus will be declared finished some time this weekend. As usual, finished means 95-99% done. I can always correct something, rip out a bone, reshape. I only add resin to the parts which may wear out (jaw and spine connections), so I can always improve other parts of the skull as I learn more about it.
This specimen is a truly imaginary pterosaur, but that may change. It is based on yet unpublished research, and it does have proposed species and specific names. When all of that becomes public, I will update this blog and change the category names for the posts on pterosaur #4. But, of course, there is a chance that the article may be rejected, and that this pterosaur does not really exist. If that happens, I might add some teeth and transform pterosaur #4 into the chinese Dsungaripterus, or leave it the way it is, Imaginary, until someone digs one out someday 🙂 Below are some pictures of the finished skull.
View of the head with the mandible detached
Bottom, top and side views
This is a view of the skull from underneath showing the palate. It is completely speculative. Most fossils are closed and don’t show these details, so I based it on the other pterosaurs that I have studied so far, like the Anhanguera. I still need to see better pictures at different angles to understand how to make a good pterosaur palate.
These views have the mandible connected.
Views from different angles
Soon I will start making the body of one of the last three pterosaurs: Anhanguera, Tupandactylus or Pterosaur #4. I still haven’t decided which one.