Tag Archives: arm

Tapejara arm bones: humeri, radii & ulnae

I should have finished the head and the spine by now, but I am waiting to get better sources and images, so I decided to change my schedule and work on the long bones. This post is about the arm bones: the humerus and the radius-ulna pair.

I am using as sources the images from SMNK PAL 1137 (which unfortunately are in low resolution and black and white). For the humerus I also had four colour views from IMCF 1061. I am using the dimensions which the paleontologist Brian Andres sent me, which I increased by 25% (since this Tapejara has a 2m wingspan).

I made each bone from two halves of 2mm foam sheets. Since the shafts of the humerus, radius and ulna have a round section (in contrast to the wing bones which are somewhat flat), I drew the parts about 30% wider in that part, and left a bit extra at the ends to allow cutting and reshaping.

IMG_5342

After cutting, I shaped the foam and glued the two halves in place.

IMG_5344

This is a view of one of the ends.

IMG_5346

After I did that with both humeri, I reshaped and lightly applied some fire to trim the edges.

IMG_5348

Herre are the two humeri compared to a humerus from Tupuxuara leonardii.

IMG_5353

In the picture above, I just filled in the bone ends with thicker foam, which allows some sculpting. After drying I then gave it some more treatment with fire.

IMG_5355

This is the final result so far. I will further improve this after adding resin and coffee stains.

IMG_5356

This is the humerus after resin and stains. it still needs some sanding and trimming.

2013-07-25 22.28.07

I based the ulnae and radii on SMNK PAL 1137. It seems they are the same size (if the scale is correct) and that they are almost the same width (some pterosaurs have a much narrower radius). I didn’t curve the radius like the picture. Here is a pair of ulnae before assembly.

IMG_5383

And this is after gluing the halves together and trimming with fire. I still have to make the bone ends.

IMG_5385

After adding the bone ends, and some trimming, I could finally try to fit them together.

2013-07-25 13.19.44

Here are some views of the finished arm bones: humeri, ulnae and radii:

2013-07-27 11.33.17 2013-07-27 11.38.06 2013-07-27 11.40.39 2013-07-27 11.42.10 2013-07-27 11.43.22

1 Comment

Filed under Pterosaur #7: Tapejara

Tupuxuara’s wing: the humerus, radius and ulna (final)

It took a couple of days to finish these bones since I had to carve many details and because the foam glue, when applied over a large surface, takes very long to dry (it’s risky to carve while it’s not completely dry). Now we only need the carpals to be able to assemble the wings.

DCF 1.0

I have no source photos of the bone ends, and it wasn’t very easy to discover their shape by just looking at the other photos. The humerus has a very complex end. I made some sketches, looked at pictures of humeri of other pterosaur species, and experimented a bit before attaching the ends. It was easy to close the shaft and the distal end of the humerus.

hum_close

hums_close

But it was challenging to sculpt the proximal end. After some trial and error, I had something like this to start working.

hum_ends

But then I still removed and added foam until I finally had a shape that matched the side views. After I finished one bone I used it as a reference, so the second humerus I made much faster.

hum_done

Here are some pictures of the result showing four sides of the humerus. The pencil is 16 cm long. Both are approximately the same side. The angle the photo was taken may make one seem larger than the other in some views.

hside1

hside2

hside3

hside4

This is the distal end (the end that connects to the radio-ulna pair). It’s speculative (I invented it using the side views as a source).

hum_dist

And this is the proximal end, which connects to the shoulder (scapulacoracoid). It is also speculative. I might make adjustments later when connecting the bones.

hum_prox

Now the radio-ulna pair. I wasn’t able to trim the radio bone’s shaft to its correct width. The technique I used (see last post) was not a good one. So I tore the shafts apart, preserved the bone ends, and made new shafts by rolling thin (2 mm) foam. Here they are attached to the bone ends.

new_radio

And now some photos of the final results. The bones are not yet connected. I just pinned them together for the photos.

side1

side2

side3

side4

These are the sides that fit together.

unass

The proximal and distal views are speculative since I don’t have any photos of them. They were derived from the side views. This is the proximal end (which connects to the humerus).

ru_prox

And this is the distal end. (I’m not 100% sure that I am right. It may be the other way around. I’ll have to check that before assembly.)

ru_dist

Now we can assemble the wings. I still can’t connect the bones because the carpals (between the wing metacarpal and the radio-ulna pair) are still missing.

wing

Here is a picture of Tupuxuara so far. I’m now working on the carpals, pelvis and leg bones.

f836b706a2b411e28b2322000a1fbe1b_7

1 Comment

Filed under Pterosaur #5: Tupuxuara