I’ve finished practically all the bones. I still have to make a pair of lacrimals and post-orbitals. If I include them, the total bone count will be 198. But I will fuse the lacrimals and post-orbitals, as I did with the quadratojugals (gluing them to the skull with epoxi). So in the end, the total bone parts will be 194. These will be fit together with silicone rubber and other removable attachments.
I did not have access to reliable source for the occipital view, squamosal and pterygoid bones, since I hadn’t obtained authorization to see photos of the specimens which could help me with this. But ten days before my deadline, a paleontologist kindly sent me many more photos from the Tapejara specimen at the Iwaki museum (IMCF 1061). I’m not allowed to show them here, but I did my best to make this Tapejara replica as accurate as possible, so hopefully I captured their details in my sculpture, which you will be able to see here in many different angles.
I started with the neurocranium. First, I made the occipital crest shorter. It was way too long, and curved up. I cut it short.
I had initially modeled the neurocranium from the SMNK PAL 1137 specimen, which you can see below. It has a partial occipital bone but it’s too short. It lacks most of the squamosal and the braincase is open. I can connect it to the rest of the skull with postorbital bones, lacrimal, and the parietal crest, but the bones which close the braincase and connect it to the palate (pterygoid, basioccipital, etc.) are missing.
The SMNK PAL 1137 Tapejara specimen has an open braincase:
But the IMCF 1061 specimen which has the missing bones will hide it. I started with two sheets of foam, glued and pinned around the edges of the braincase. I modeled it with a lighter to shape the bones (I don’t actually know the name of this bone – it might be pterygoid, epipterygoid, basioccipital… my anatomical reference guides do not include a pterosaur).
Then I shaped a little more, practically closed the braincase leaving only a small hole at the back (foramen magnum) but still no occipital condyle.
I also shaped the curvy squamosal bones.
You can still see the braincase if you look through foramen magnum. Maybe I should have placed a little Tapejara brain there before closing.
Finally I made an occipital condyle, added a layer of acrylic polymer emulsion (modeling paste) and stained with coffee. Here are some photos of the neurocranium attached with the rest of the skull:
Here I also attached the mandible and the quadrate bones (the small squares are 5mm wide).
I finished the neurocranium with a layer of epoxy resin, for protection and strength. Since it’s shiny it doesn’t look much like a bone anymore, but it looks a lot like a piece of granite. I will later add layer of matte varnish. If you have access to photos of the neurocranium of the IMCF 1061 specimen, you can compare them with these.
Nobody is going to see the braincase when the Tapejara is assembled in the museum, but it’s nice to know that there is some space for a brain in there 🙂