Tapejara: improvements and fixes

All the bones are finished. Time to add a protective resin layer and to make some small fixes. Here are some of them drying after receiving a layer of epoxy.

2013-08-19 21.14.17

All the bones already have a resin layer except for the cervicals, anterior part of the skull and the scapula-coracoid pairs. I have to improve them using the images from IMCF 1061 which I received. They are simple fixes and not as complex as the neurocranium.

The easiest is the scapula-coracoid pair. I had to discover how to connect them before hardening (when they only have an acrylic polymer layer they can still be twisted, heated, and slightly reshaped.) So I did some research and finally discovered how the coracoid and scapula should articulate.

2013-08-20 11.41.54

2013-08-20 11.42.17

2013-08-20 11.42.42

The skull needed reinforcements on the inside, lacrimal and post-orbital bones. I didn’t find fossil evidence in Tapejaras for the large triangular cavity in the posterior part of the palate, so I closed it (it seems there might be a small one, but I’m not sure). I had based the palate on other thalassodromid specimens, since the IMCF 1061 palate seems to be missing.

2013-08-22 01.34.36

This is the skull before adding the missing bones.

2013-08-22 01.34.18

And after

2013-08-23 10.37.06

Here are some pictures of the nine parts of the skull attached. The neurocranium and quadrates were attached to the rest with silicone rubber (they can be easily detached). The mandible joint was also made from “cartilage” of silicone rubber. It firmly keeps the mandible attached to the quadrate, but allows some flexibility (so the Tapejara’s beak can hang open).

final1 final2 final3 final4

My cervicals had posterior condyles which were too short and they all had missing anterior cotyles. Here is a picture of the vertebrae when I had “finished” them. The black lines show what is missing:

cervical rod

My first sources were very bad. I had to rely entirely on black and white photos from the SMNK PAL 1137 article, and I didn’t see the cotyles there. But then I received the pictures from IMCF 1061 and fixed the vertebrae, adding pieces of foam to form a small ridge under each vertebrae (or the cotyle), and three small tubes behind (for the longer postexapophyses and condyle). I forgot to photograph them while I was making the fixes. Here are some pictures showing the final result.

2013-08-23 12.17.28 2013-08-23 12.24.07

cv1

cvstop

There are obviously many other details which can be improved. Since my sources are only photographs, and usually bad ones, I do what I can. The IMCF 1061 photos were great because they allowed me to see more details and improve the replica.

 

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Pterosaur #7: Tapejara

One response to “Tapejara: improvements and fixes

  1. Pingback: Imaginary Pterosaur #7: Tapejara wellnhoferi finished | The Imaginary Pterosaur

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s