Tupuxuara’s wing: the humerus, radius and ulna (final)

It took a couple of days to finish these bones since I had to carve many details and because the foam glue, when applied over a large surface, takes very long to dry (it’s risky to carve while it’s not completely dry). Now we only need the carpals to be able to assemble the wings.

DCF 1.0

I have no source photos of the bone ends, and it wasn’t very easy to discover their shape by just looking at the other photos. The humerus has a very complex end. I made some sketches, looked at pictures of humeri of other pterosaur species, and experimented a bit before attaching the ends. It was easy to close the shaft and the distal end of the humerus.

hum_close

hums_close

But it was challenging to sculpt the proximal end. After some trial and error, I had something like this to start working.

hum_ends

But then I still removed and added foam until I finally had a shape that matched the side views. After I finished one bone I used it as a reference, so the second humerus I made much faster.

hum_done

Here are some pictures of the result showing four sides of the humerus. The pencil is 16 cm long. Both are approximately the same side. The angle the photo was taken may make one seem larger than the other in some views.

hside1

hside2

hside3

hside4

This is the distal end (the end that connects to the radio-ulna pair). It’s speculative (I invented it using the side views as a source).

hum_dist

And this is the proximal end, which connects to the shoulder (scapulacoracoid). It is also speculative. I might make adjustments later when connecting the bones.

hum_prox

Now the radio-ulna pair. I wasn’t able to trim the radio bone’s shaft to its correct width. The technique I used (see last post) was not a good one. So I tore the shafts apart, preserved the bone ends, and made new shafts by rolling thin (2 mm) foam. Here they are attached to the bone ends.

new_radio

And now some photos of the final results. The bones are not yet connected. I just pinned them together for the photos.

side1

side2

side3

side4

These are the sides that fit together.

unass

The proximal and distal views are speculative since I don’t have any photos of them. They were derived from the side views. This is the proximal end (which connects to the humerus).

ru_prox

And this is the distal end. (I’m not 100% sure that I am right. It may be the other way around. I’ll have to check that before assembly.)

ru_dist

Now we can assemble the wings. I still can’t connect the bones because the carpals (between the wing metacarpal and the radio-ulna pair) are still missing.

wing

Here is a picture of Tupuxuara so far. I’m now working on the carpals, pelvis and leg bones.

f836b706a2b411e28b2322000a1fbe1b_7

Advertisements

1 Comment

Filed under Pterosaur #5: Tupuxuara

One response to “Tupuxuara’s wing: the humerus, radius and ulna (final)

  1. Pingback: Making of a Tupuxuara | The Imaginary Pterosaur

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s