The photos I am using as a source include a high resolution image of the palate (below the skull) and occipital (behind and below), so I will have the opportunity to make a much more detailed skull this time.
First I placed the palate photos in the same scale as the side view of the skull in the computer. The right half of the palate of the holotype I am using as a source is damaged, so I duplicated and flipped vertically the other half of the image of the palate to make it symmetrical. Then I transfered the palate drawing to a sheet of foam.
I added all the details I could find in the fossil. It’s great to have high resolution photos taken with different lighting, since some three-dimensional details are only visible because of the shadows.
I cut out the palate and trimmed the edges a bit.
Then I folded the back (occipital) and creased everything in the shape of the skull so it could fit in place.
The palate is convex near the ridges and towards the tip, and concave towards the throat. After some folding and creasing I obtained this effect (this is a view of the palate from the inside).
After that, I attached it to the skull. I had to cut a bit along the line that separates the palate part from the occipital part (near the mandible joint), so I could mold it better.
I made some small cuts in other places as well.