I should be making the bodies of the other skulls, but yesterday I received some high-resolution photographs of a very-well preserved fossil and promoted Tupuxuara (planned as pterosaur #7) to #5.
I started with a sheet of XPS foam. It’s 0.5 mm thick and 1.00 by 1.20 m. I cut a portion of it (1.10 x 0.45) to draw one half of the skull:
I am not authorized to publish the photos of the fossil here, but you can see the one I used on my computer screen. It’s from the Iwaki Coal and Fossil Museum, in Japan. There is a replica in London, and several photos and diagrams in books and the Web. Usually I use diagrams which are drawn from the fossils, but this time I decided to use the picture of a real fossil.
This is the moment I identified the Tupuxuara skull in the foam 🙂 Now I can begin “excavating”!
After cutting out one half I use it as a guide to cut out the other half using the rest of the sheet of foam. There is still a lot of foam left for the details.
Then I start folding and molding. If you want to see how I do this, read this post on the Tupandactylus model. I also trimmed the edges near the tip of the beak and mandible.
These are the folded and slightly molded halves before pasting together.
Next step is to paste the halves together.
Then I carved out a bit of the crest. This is the final result after about an hour and a half of work.
Today I will work on the insides of the skull and try to mold the orbits. It will be a lot easier since I have detailed high resolution photos of everything. I might be able to finish this model in three days.