I finally finished the skull of Anhanguera piscator (well, almost… I still might sand it a bit, paint it, make the cervical spine connections and replace the front teeth with longer fangs, but it’s 99% done.) I lost track of how much time I invested into this, but I think it took me something around 30 hours of work, more than half of it working on small details (that means I can probably make a quick not-so-detailed skull in half that time). I used one sheet of a 65×40 cm XPS foam board, about 50g PVA (polyvinyl acetate) glue, 100 ml of modeling clay (acrylic resin), 8g of epoxi resin, 1 transparent plastic (PVC) hanger, cotton gauze.
These are its dimensions:
- Length of the skull: 63.5 cm.
- Maximum width (near the jaw articulation): 10 cm.
- Minimum width (narrowest part of the beak): 3 cm.
- Height (skull + mandible): 17 cm.
- Height (skull without mandible): 14 cm.
- Weight: 220 grams.
The pictures below show the skull from several angles.
Top, bottom, side
Compare that last photo with this one, from the fossil of a real Anhanguera piscator (Source: Photo by Makoto Manabe published in David Hone’s Archosaur Musings):
My Anhanguera wore braces when young, that’s why it has no crooked or oversized teeth 🙂 (but I will definitely replace those front teeth with longer ones).
New rostrum teeth and improved eye cavities for Anhanguera: